 Technic / 2904
Re: New Clock Escapement Design
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 9 Nov 2000 06:50:55 GMT

Nice!  I've been looking for good escapement designs, because I want to
build a lego structure that is capable of lowering itself by means of its
own weight, but at a set rate.  A pendulum/escapement combination seems to
be the best way to regulate the speed of a mechanical process (without
motors).

--

Paul Davidson

Amnon Silverstein <amnon@best.com> wrote in message
I came up with a simple way to make an escapement. This is the gizmo that
regulates a geartrain with a pendulum, and it is used in clocks. I saw a
very complicated escapement made of lego on the web
(http://carol.wins.uva.nl/~leo/lego/escapement.html). This guy built a • huge
ratchet out of a bunch of parts. It looked very complicated and hard to
build, but you could use it to make a mechanical clock (I saw one at:
http://www.ericharshbarger.org/lego/clock.html). Mine doesn't use a • ratchet,
and it only uses a few parts, and it could be used as the basis for a
mechanical clock. I have a picture and a movie of it in action:
http://www.best.com/~amnon/Homepage/Games/Lego/escapement.jpg
http://www.best.com/~amnon/Homepage/Games/Lego/escapement.avi