 Technic / 254
RE: Throwbot (Slizer) gearboxes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 15 Nov 1999 14:09:31 GMT

Ralph Hempel wrote in message <000201bf2ecd$b224e900$0500000a@pro150>...
I just caved and bought a couple of Throwbots (Granite and Ski) for
the kids. Now I'm jealous.

The gearbox in Granite would be super for gantry robots. I think that
a two-plate built up beam with gear racks on it could be run through
the box. This would make a very compact mechanism for moving a device
along a rack if driven by a micro-motor.

Then Eric Brok wrote...

That was my thought too. I built a sketchy 2-dimensional gantry, as proof of
concept. Didn't work perfect but interesting for a change. (no pics).

I finally pried Granite out of little Owen's hands (I waited until he
fell asleep - it was easier) and found to my dismay that the two types
of gearboxes are ALMOST OK for gantry mechanisms. The Granite gearbox
only allows a rack mounted on a single plate - not very structural. The
worm gear box does not let the worm protrude far enough to mesh with the
rack - ARGGGHHH.

Those new parts are so COOL though. I'll have to hold them some more
to figure out if they can be useful for other things...

Cheers,

Ralph Hempel - P.Eng

<http://www.hempeldesigngroup.com/lego/pbFORTH>
Reply to:      rhempel at bmts dot com