 Technic / 2351
Re:Derailer ( Building a bicycle wheel)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 26 Sep 2000 06:23:23 GMT

I tried to make a derailer transmission a few years ago, but pushing the chain
off of the gears just wasn't working. Since you brought it up, I had a new
idea. I don't think this would work for anything much smaller than a 2:1 scale
bicycle, but it could be turned into a new type of Lego transmission that I
don't think anyone has pulled off yet.
My new approach is a double chain lifter. It opens up the chain into a wide
enough triangle that the sprocket stack can slide to different sizes of gears.
I don't have it worked into an actual transmission, but I think the concept is
viable. The gears turn at least.

Big sprocket:
http://www.best.com/~amnon/Homepage/Games/Lego/Derail1.jpg
Opened up: