 Technic / 16710
Re: Radial Compressor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 13 Jul 2009 21:44:54 GMT

It looks like BS is back online so now is as good a time as any to show you the pictures of the 8-pump compressor I built amplifying the 4-pump version.

I wanted to keep the compressor as small as possible so I started by changing the end parts to make them 1 beam shorter which means I can safely move the core half a beam closer to the sides: (clicking on the images will enlarge them)

After that I had a go at the central part of the compressor which I also managed to reduce by a beam. Of course the core is 2 beams wider so the overall result is a central part that is 1 beam wider than the 4-pump version.

Although the pumps of the second series are attached to the frame at the same positions as the first set of pumps there is a slight offset when connecting to the core:

This is another view of the central part:

I’ve pared opposite pumps in odrer to use them together. I doubt I’ll need the air supply of all 8 pumps in a single MOC, but i plan to connect this all up to a valve block in order to be able to select if I want to use the pressure generated by 2, 4, 6 or 8 pumps.

I still need to run some speed tests and I would like to do some sort of comparative air flow test to see how much air the pump supplies. So far the limit of the air pressure it can provide is the determined by the ‘grip’ of the tubes. There’s always one that pops off if you block the outlets and let the pump run for some time...