 Technic / 16585
  The pole reverser - what's it do?

(URL) Looking through the Technic sets' instructions I've bumped into this part and never figured out what does it really do... so I thought to ask here. Though, I myself don't own any of these, though I wish I did! I'm kind of low with the power (...) (15 years ago, 18-Feb-09, to lugnet.technic, FTX)

  Re: The pole reverser - what's it do?

"Santeri Piippo" <arezey@SPAMgmailSPAM.com> wrote in message news:KF9zpE.L0E@lugnet.com... (...) According to (URL) does the Power Functions Pole Switch do? The pole or control switch included in 8293 - Power Functions Motor Set allows you to (...) (15 years ago, 18-Feb-09, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: The pole reverser - what's it do?

(...) It reversed the direction of electricity flow. For example, it makes a motor run backwards when flipped. (15 years ago, 18-Feb-09, to lugnet.technic, FTX)

  Re: The pole reverser - what's it do?

(...) Interesting, so it *does* switch the winding/direction... but the only use I can make up is to keep lights on while motors stand still. Thanks, really eased my mind now that I don't have to ponder about what it does. :-) (15 years ago, 18-Feb-09, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: The pole reverser - what's it do?

(...) The pole reverser has multiple uses. At it's simplest, it serves as a remote on/off switch so you don't need to be able to reach the battery box. As others have already mentioned, it also changes the polarity of the output voltage based on (...) (15 years ago, 19-Feb-09, to lugnet.technic, FTX)

  Re: The pole reverser - what's it do?

(...) Ah, now I see it, it's not that useless after all. Very well, I'll keep this is mind. (15 years ago, 19-Feb-09, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: The pole reverser - what's it do?

(...) The last sentence is especially misleading. In 8293 the LEDs are connected directly on the battery pack. So they continue to function regardless of the state of the pole reverser. But of course if the LEDs are connected to the pole reverser (...) (15 years ago, 22-Feb-09, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: The pole reverser - what's it do?

(...) This leads me to a question. PF uses 4 wires instead of 2, and it is my understanding that the pole reverser only switches two of these and the other 2 remain powered. Could the LEDs then be made to stay on with the Pole Reverser in the middle (...) (15 years ago, 23-Feb-09, to lugnet.technic)

"Eric Albrecht" <blakbird11.nospam@comcast.net> wrote in message news:KFJ3nK.5vB@lugnet.com... (...) I would have thought either: A) The LEDs are using the outer two contacts which are biased one direction and have to be turned off at the battery (...) (15 years ago, 23-Feb-09, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: The pole reverser - what's it do?

(...) And the winner is...... C!!!! I put my meter on the outside poles and got nothing. open. I put my meter on the inside poles and found 9M ohms in one direction but 6M in the other ? This means the lights[1] use the same source as the IR (...) (15 years ago, 24-Feb-09, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.trains)

  Re: The pole reverser - what's it do?

(...) You can see the schematics for the PF lights on Philo's page, to be more precise, here: (URL) (15 years ago, 24-Feb-09, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.trains)

  Re: The pole reverser - what's it do?

I have a related question: Why did LEGO add a permanent post to the new switch? The old polarity switch could turn 360 degrees if you didn't add a post, but the new one only turns as far as its built-in post allows. I will grant that I've never (...) (15 years ago, 24-Feb-09, to lugnet.technic, FTX)

  Re: The pole reverser - what's it do?

(...) I've gotta agree with that question: I loved the fact that the old one can turn 360 degrees and have used that option to make it do some fun and screwy things. In fact, you can use it like one of those mechanical timer outlet things, like one (...) (15 years ago, 24-Feb-09, to lugnet.technic, FTX)

  Re: (was: The pole reverser - what's it do?) Old Style Trick Use

(...) -snip- (...) You guys got to try this: Get one of the RC Racer units. You know how the steering motor only turns a little to the left and right with the remote? Well, connect a small axle to the steering motor and the polarity reverser. Like (...) (15 years ago, 24-Feb-09, to lugnet.technic, FTX)

  Re: (was: The pole reverser - what's it do?) Old Style Trick Use

(...) I had successfully used just such a mechanism in 2006 at Brickfest in DC with a remote control I used to run part of my GBC components. The remote allowed users to steer a chute left or right and try to make the balls hit a moving target. The (...) (15 years ago, 25-Feb-09, to lugnet.technic, FTX)