 Technic / 16579
16578  |  16580
Subject:
MOC-in-progress - Lego Dragline
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 28 Jan 2009 02:33:45 GMT

A Lego model that I've been thinking of building for a while now is a
Lego dragline. I was recently inspired by David Wegmuller's dragline,
and Ross Crawford's 'Lil Muskie', so I finally started work on it, and
I'm happy with the progress I've made so far, so I thought I'd share
it all with you.

By far the hardest part of building a dragline is the boom. It's an
extremely three-dimensional shape that doesn't lend itself nicely to
being built with any of the conventional techniques. So, instead of
building the boom out of beams, I thought I'd try and build it out of
axles instead, using CV joiners to allow for the bends. I don't
follow .technic regularly, so I'm not sure if this method has been
used before for space trusses, but I was very pleased with the result.

<<http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Shibboleth/Dragline/scaled.img_1213.jpg

It's a lot more rigid that you'd think from all the CV connectors. A
lot of the connectors are in opposition to each other, so their
horizontal components are cancelled out, leaving the CV connectors to
absorb forces only in their vertical direction - their strong suit.
The boom can easily carry several times its own weight in load.

My bucket has taken a lot of inspiration from David W's design, using
the double-bend smooth beam for the primary shape. The rest of it is
again using the axle-and-joiner method to form the sides and arch.
I've never been a big fan of Lego's 'new Technic' until I started on
this MOC. It's possibilities are quite interesting.

<<http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Shibboleth/Dragline/scaled.img_1212.jpg

Full gallery is available at Brickshelf:

<http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Shibboleth>

David Drew