 Technic / 16217
Re: 8475 and 8366 RC buggies Receiver unit
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 8 Feb 2008 12:14:46 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Stephane Simard wrote:
So far so good. None of my two receiving units stopped working so far (bought
the sets the year they came out).

I am most nervous about the internal steering motor since should it fail, the
entire receiving unit is useless.

Anybody yet had one of their fail? I'm not talking about the large motors, only
about the receiving unit which houses the steering motor.

Has anybody ever dismantled one of those? I'd be very interesting in looking at
how the steering motor works.

The new power functions are great, but for fast rc buggies with responsive
steering, the 8475/8366 parts are still the way to go.

I dismantled the one from my 8475 because I was sick of the steering slightly
over-running when it centred up again.

It uses a quarter-gear a bit like the end of this bionicle piece:
http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=41667

And it makes electrical contact with a series of arcs etched on a circuit board
in a sort of binary pattern.  From the range of arc sections it makes contact
with, the controller knows roughly what angle it's at.  It then uses a small
motor to drive it to the left or right, until it detects it's in the right
position.  But it's a bit of a slack mechanism, and the motor is prone to
over-running, so it's not very good at centering itself properly.

Jason R