 Technic / 16079
16078  |  16080
Subject:
4-Wheel Drive, 4-Wheel Steering PF Vehicle
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 27 Dec 2007 20:07:05 GMT

A few days ago I came across an interesting and compact design for a pendular
suspension (thanks to TechnicBRICKs for highlighting this design). This is
basically a 2-wheel module that incorporates a drive-train mechanism, a steering
mechanism, and suspension. This clever and compact design is due to S. Ariel,
who provides complete building instructions for this module on his brickshelf
folder.

I used two of these modules to build a 4-wheel drive vehicle, with 4-wheel
steering and a front suspension. It actually also has a suspension for the rear
wheels as well, but the overall suspension was too soft so the vehicle wobbled,
so I locked the rear suspension. Perhaps it would have worked better with 8
rather than 4 shock absorbers.

The  vehicle is powered by two Power-Functions motors. It moves quite slowly,
since the drive train uses a worm gear to rotate the differentials. But it is
sturdy and strong. I was able to mount a NXT with batteries in front, along with
a sound sensor and a grabber arm (with a NXT motor), and it still moved well.

I built the overall structure from several modules that snap together in about 3
minutes.

Check out the video to see how the vehicle moves, how its suspension allows it
to overcome obstacles, and how the modules are put together quickly.

<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIV6zHUwWdM>

Sivan