 Technic / 1605
Re: Motorising the 8880
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sat, 10 Jun 2000 00:46:20 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Michael Firman writes:
and I am working on installing  motors in the
place of the engion. I have been using two motors to try to power the wheels,
but I think the amount of friction involved in the 4 wheel drive mechanism
still is too much for them, dispite being geared down. All that happens when I
try to drive it in 1st is either it rips the gearbox apart or the chain belt
snaps. The furthest I have managed to get it to move is about 5 cm, and that
certainly wasn't at a very impressive speed that might be expected of an 8-
cylinder roadster of that calibre.

Does anyone have any advice? I have concidered converting it to 2-wheel drive
or rebuilding the gearbox to make it fixed to a certain gear ratio, but reduce
friction, but I am not particularly inclined to do either of those.

Mike (who still hasn't got his hands on an 8448)

Hello Mike,

As this is one of my favourite Lego models I have not disassembled it
from 'first build'. Unfortunately for you, and anyone else considering
motorising this vehicle, the gearing is about the most unprototypical aspect
of the working parts.

If you do not wish to re-gear the mootr/gearbox the only practical solution is
to power each wheel to ensure that the motor/gearbox assembly is driven from
the wheel end, rather than the engine end (if you know what I mean). Lego have
obviously done the right thing here though - the model is designed so that
simply pusing the model in any gear will rotate the engine. If the car was set
up with realistic gearing it would rip the transmission apart when you tried
to push it in 1st gear!

I took a good look at motorising this car and gave up when I realised that so
many gearbox components needed modification (I love the design too much to
modify it to that extent). Perhaps you can do better?

Jon (who also has not found his bargain 8448 either - yet)