 Technic / 15928
Re: Power Functions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 9 Oct 2007 19:18:05 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Mervyn Tomb wrote:

If Lego were really doing the job well they would have used radio waves, and
given us variable power as in the RC racers.

Well, consider the IR receiver is just one module sitting between the battery
box and the motor; and nothing prevents anyone from replacing that with whatever
they want; be it radio or bluetooth. Hopefully TLC will do something like that;
but if not I suppose others might jump in easily (HiTechnic for instance)

Also can any one tell me what sort of connector is on the back of the new motor,
as every photo I have seen does not show if the wire can be removed and replaced
with a longer one.

It can not. There is no connector on the motor, the wire just goes out of it. If
I remember correctly what Philo told me*, the logic behind this is that it's not
possible to wire things incorrectly as a female plug (the side with the studs)
is always a source of power while the male plug (the underside) is always a
receiver. Or something. Long story short, the wire is fixed with the motor, but
you'll be able to use a soon-to-come extension cable if that's too short.

Jean-Marc

* Actually, I should probably let him, or anyone else more competent than I am,
answer. I guess I have some of that "first post"/"first reply" syndrome after
all. Sorry.