 Technic / 15691
15690  |  15692
Subject:
Roller Coaster runs on Monorail Track
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.announce.moc
Date:
Thu, 29 Mar 2007 15:25:47 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

I have designed a minifig-scale roller coaster that can run on standard monorail track. Each car can carry up to four minifigs around a loop, and the cars can run independently or linked in pairs. (I haven’t tried longer trains yet...)

There are several ways to make rail for this coaster. The simplest is to use standard monorail track, although there can be some interference with the gear on the track. But (curved!) monorail track can also be connected back-to-back, the wheels riding on the edges of the two monorails, making it possible to create very smooth loops. From a ~4 foot peak, the cars easily complete the loop without derailing. I have also created track using Technic pin-in-tube construction, as well as with tiled brick and tiled SNOT-brick.

The last issue is to work out a reliable lift mechanism. I have a few ideas that go beyond the “string of 3,000 chain link elements” approach, but I’m open to suggestions.

Brickshelf gallery with building instructions.