 Technic / 15652
Re: gears...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 14 Mar 2007 04:51:40 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Vineet Honkan wrote:
This may sound stupid, but after half a decade of not playing with my Legos, I
have forgotten some basic stuff, which I was wondering maybe you could help me
with.
My biggest is with gears. Can someone explain to me why using a worm gear with
two reg gears (8t/40t) will increase the power? Thanks.

Basically, a worm gear has one tooth. So using that with a 40-tooth gear reduces
the rotational speed by a factor of 40, and increases the strength by the same
amount. Also, worm gears can drive a gear, but can't be driven by that gear, so
they are perfect for joints that you want to stay in one position even without
power.

Does that help?