 Technic / 15443
Re: 100% LEGO Technic Clock with Electric Drive
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 22 Nov 2006 01:12:50 GMT

Chris Phillips wrote:
I've spent the past few days refining the design of my
<http://news.lugnet.com/announce/moc/?n=975 Technic clock>.  I've managed to
convert it to electric drive (using a 9V micro motor) which enabled me to get
rid of the 2-lb. weight and string.  This made it possible to further reduce the
size of the timekeeping mechanism while greatly improving its reliability.  The
result is a fully functional electric clock made from 100% unmodified LEGO
parts.

<<http://www.drvegetable.com/ElectricClock.jpg
<http://www.drvegetable.com/ElectricClock_.jpg>>

The clock stands about 17 inches tall, and can be powered from a train regulator
or a battery box.  Without the dangling weight, this MOC can easily stand on the
mantlepiece without fear that it will take a sudden plunge to the floor.

I'm still tweaking the timing, but it is already able to keep time within a few
minutes per hour, and has run for several hours at a stretch with no human
intervention.  As an added bonus, the clock time can be set (even while the
clock is running) simply by turning the hands to the desired time.

Must sleep now...

Man, I hate chasing posts to other groups, but for you Chris, I must.
This is a nice looking new clock, but I must admit that it won't fit
into a town as well as the old one :)

Chris

--
http://users.rcn.com/cjmasi/lego/