 Technic / 15437
Re: Steering Configuration on Large Vehicle - Where to Begin?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 13 Nov 2006 22:59:18 GMT

In lugnet.technic, William P. (Pat) Hough wrote:
Hi Technic Gurus!

I'm starting what I consider to be an ambitious project -- My area of
"expertise" (if you will) is Classic Space, but I am considering a large space
vehicle with potential dimensions of 22 studs width and between 64 and 80 studs
length, and I would like to enable it to where the front wheels actually turn.

I'm planning on using 6 of the old Technic wheel/tires that were on the original
Auto Chassis (Set 956/8860). They look like this:

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemPic.asp?P=3739c01

So, here's my question: Can anyone in the land of Technic suggest a good
Steering configuration that they have designed, preferably with building
instructions, that would work with this type of tire/wheel assembly? We're
talking the works here; axles, gears, plates, etc. whatever is necessary to
complete the configuration to where it can be attached to the rest of the
vehicle. I've tried it and did not succeed. Also, for reasons I won't go into
here, I've tried adapting steering configurations from past sets, without much
success...needless to say the configuration I'm looking for must be able to
support some weight.

Hi Pat,

Well I think the 8860 is a great place to start. That configuration could hold a
lot of weight, do you have any idea how much you need to support?

http://www.peeron.com/scans/8860-1/16

ROSCO