 Technic / 15265
15264  |  15266
Subject:
Non-RCX Drop Tower
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 5 Jul 2006 20:51:55 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Hey guys, check this out:

An amusement park drop tower ride that doesn't use RCX...

And it slows down near the bottom of the fall! Very realistic.

Original Chinese discussion here:
http://www.twlug.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6210

Here's a quick rundown.

A motorized cable spool at the base pulls another cable that in turn raises the
car to the top, then secured by a catch. A pneumatic system with 11 cylinders in
series and a pop bottle as tank acts as the brake. The car falls when a trigger
is released. After falling some distance the car actiavtes a pneumatic switch,
and the cylinders expand, raising a pulley fixed atop it. By this time the "car
cable" should have caught that pulley which stops the freefall, making the rest
of its descent slow as the pulley continued its relatively slow ascent...
(there's a picture in the gallery outlining the pulley setup.)

Enjoy.
Keith