 Technic / 15001
15000  |  15002
Subject:
Quickie review of #8421 Mobile Crane
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 30 Dec 2005 20:58:59 GMT

Hey all,

I thought it might be a new computer, but the big box under the tree turned
out to be this Technic behemoth.  What a nice surprise!  I haven't built
anything this complex since the Space Shuttle, and boy, it was a tough!

I had never built a Technic set with pnuematics before, and it was really
fun to see how it was going to work as I was putting it together.  I made
quite a few mistakes, luckily none of which involved massive tearing down
and rebuilding.  The engineering of the set is pretty spectacular to my eyes
since I don't use Technic very much, especially at this level of complexity!

There are a couple of things others should know if you're thinking of buying
the set:

As we already know, the loose-bags-in-the-box packaging style guarantees
that one or both of the instruction manuals will crumpled up.  Not a major
inconvenience, but I dislike the dismissive presentation upon opening the
box.  It kinda feels like "Thanks for the money, kid, here's your bags o'
stuff."  (TOSS)

TLG really needs to print black parts in pure black with white outlines like
they used to do.  Black and dark gray (or blay as some would have it) are
virtually indistinguishable on the printed pages, resulting in repeated
re-checks to be sure the correct part is being used.

Although the bags are numbered and organized for certain stages of building,
not all the parts necessary will be in those bags.  I thought I had a
missing piece that would necessitate a phone call, but found it later in
another bag.  If the bags are going to be module-specific, then TLG still
has work to do to insure the bags are correctly filled.

Aside from that, it's a great set and the new motor should be lots of fun to
experiment with!

Dave S.