 Technic / 14985
Re: Technic prop
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 22 Dec 2005 18:06:58 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Steve Lane wrote:
Can someone who has this part

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemPic.asp?P=2740c01

please measure the radius described by the rotation of the blades and let me
know what it is.

Thanks

Steve

Hi Steve,
First I tried measuring its radius but this is not an easy task as the center
point and the tip of the blades are on different planes. It looked like slightly
less than 60mm but I could not tell for sure.
So I built the test rig shown here: http://wegmuller.org/v-web/gallery/album06
I found that the blade radius is indeed slightly less than 60mm (59.8 ~ 59.9mm)
but there is a catch: the shaft holding the propeller and 24t gear into the 1x4
beam has a lot of play which results in the propeller twisting around its axis
which in turns results in a motion of several tenth of millimeters at the blade
tips. The propeller clears the grey and yellow pieces in the pictures only if it
is held flat against its 1x4 brick; if it is allowed to float, it will touch the
grey and yellow pieces.

I'm curious: what are you trying to build?

Greetings,
David