 Technic / 14936
Re: New supercar.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 5 Dec 2005 18:42:51 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Nathan Bell wrote:
In lugnet.technic, Billy Bauman wrote:
Woohoo! I have finally finished my type5. phew. Here it is.

  Tell me what you think!

  Billy.

WOW! The re-routed differential assembly was an interesting idea. Question- If
you spin the diff manually do both wheels turn or does only on side turn since
it is heavier than the other?

  Actually... yes. But the way I see it is that if the car were on the ground,
the weight of the car would be able to force the diff to balance out. I'm not
an engineer or anything, this is pure speculation.

Your design proves that technic supercars don't have to be 9th/10th scale and
$100.00+ to have a transmission and suspension.  It has more functions than any
supercar released by TLC, and is 1/2 the size of any of their supercars.  I'm
not saying that TLC does not have excellent designs but your design is
incredible!

Thank you so much. That was actually one of my goals; to pack as much into as
small a package as possible. I'm not sure about the price though. the driving
rings cost me $15.00 apiece. (I don't have the 8880, 8448, or the 8466 models,
and had to acquire the rings from Bricklink.)

One of the reasons their Enzo design did not have these functions
might have been the fact that they wanted to keep it simple for younger
builders.  However, your design keeps it simple and has the suspension
/transmission.  It probably took a lot of thought to design...

Yes, it did. This is my 9th model of this scale (I don't have any documentation
of the first 7 though.) and my second using a transmission. (The first being the
Type4.) I came up with the suspension arms and rerouted diff on the first model,
which was actually a mini formula car designed to be in scale with a technic
figure. The placement of the shocks and the implementation of the swaybars
evolved over the models' timeline. The rear suspension arm design hasn't changed
a bit though.

but a young builder
could afford it and be able to put it together in less than 2 hours. Do you have
a piece count yet?

No I don't, but I'll try. And If I have the time, I may include a parts list as
well. This really is my best model yet. I am very pleased with the results. The
transmission test went better than I thought it would.

It should be a trend setter.  Are you going to create more LDraw pics of the W
engine?  It is a very innovative idea to incorporate in a lego project.

I first came across the idea of a W engine in a concept car book. Fasinated by
the idea of using a W setup (Although the real ones use only one Camshaft.) I
decided to incorperate it into my first Supercar. The Design didn't take too
long, the trick was to align the shafts and heads up just right, so as to
achieve a smooth operation. I'll see what I can do about the LDraw engine pics.

Nathan

Thank you for viewing it. I had an absolute blast making it. I can't wait to
get started on my next project. I'll need to buy the Ferrari set though for some
more parts and different color panels other than silver.

  Billy.