 Technic / 14680
Re: Road grader
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 3 Oct 2005 16:14:45 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Nathan Bell wrote:
Why do the front tires of Road graders tilt sideways?  My guess is that 1)it
might lower the blade, it won't lower that much 2) to be able to drive on a
tilted surface.  If the first is true, it would not lower the blade much unless
they tilt more than 45 degrees.  If the second is true, then do the 4 rear
wheels have a way to tilt sideways, or does the whole frame glide forward at a
twisted angle??  I should post some new pics in the next few days of what I have
built so far along with some updated pics of my new crane design.

Nathan,

I called my brother in law who owns a large utility company, which has about 4
of the Cat 14H Motor Graders, and he said that the front tires tilt for two
reasons.

The first is when you are going in forward, it gives you a better turning
radius,  this is vital because the machine is so long.

Secondly, he said that when the machine is grading in reverse, the tilt of the
tires gives them better traction, therfore making it easier for the machine to
grade backwards without slipping from left to right because the force of the
dirt on the back side of the blade causes an "upheval" action on the entire
machine.

He said that the rear tires do not tilt at all, nor does the machine "twist"
because both tires must be tilted the same way, therefore the machine gets
slighty lower in the front, but stays on the same plane.

Makes sense to me.

Alvin.