 Technic / 14586
  Scrapers

Does anyone know where I can find some good pictures/diagrams on how scrapers work? (19 years ago, 10-Sep-05, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Scrapers

(...) Are you looking for Graders or Scrapers? In any case... I tend to always first go to manufacturers sites, e.g., (URL) (19 years ago, 10-Sep-05, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Scrapers

(...) I have a book "How Things Work" ISBN 0-75254-078-5, that shows a scraper (the one that collects the earth rather than just pushing it to one side like a grader). A grader is quite simple, with the front pair of wheels on top of the ungraded (...) (19 years ago, 10-Sep-05, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Scrapers

(...) I guess you can't really see the details in this pic: (URL) a pretty good photo here: (URL) some others probably too if you poke around that site. The tub is raised and lowered using the vertical cylinders just behind the front wheels. Larger (...) (19 years ago, 10-Sep-05, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Scrapers

(...) Thank you all for the pics. The one Rosco sent was the type I was looking for. There are 2 types that I can see. One has a hollow tub in the middle and collects the dirt. The other is basically the same thing but with tread-mill-type blades in (...) (19 years ago, 11-Sep-05, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Scrapers

(...) I forgot to thank Mark Bellis and John Fors for their info yesterday. Which engine drives the rotating blades? Is one engine for hydraulics and one for driving the wheels? Or is one engine for the rear half and one for the front? Which engine (...) (19 years ago, 12-Sep-05, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Scrapers

(...) needed in loose soils than in hard, compacted soils. I guess being such a big machine, it has a proper control system, such that power to each axle is controlled from each axle's engine with a combined traction control system. The cut-away (...) (19 years ago, 12-Sep-05, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Scrapers

(...) Is it possible they have a hydraulic drive controlled by only one engine? When the scraper bends down in the middle, it shortens the distance between the front and rear wheels, and visa- versa. That would mean that the axles would be turning (...) (19 years ago, 13-Sep-05, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Scrapers

Nate- Here's a site I found with info on scrapers. (URL) (Sorry I couldn't be of much help here) (19 years ago, 13-Sep-05, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Scrapers

(...) I've never read anything to support this supposition. I've always thought scrapers mainly use mechanical transmissions. I know Caterpillar likes to put mechanical transmissions in things where other makers only use diesel-electric. I'm sure (...) (19 years ago, 13-Sep-05, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Scrapers

(...) Thanks Steve. Another thought- You know those long oval-shaped arms (one end bigger then the other) that connect the front half to the rear half? I bet there is a chain in there that drives the auger (or blades). Maybe it is the front engine (...) (19 years ago, 13-Sep-05, to lugnet.technic)