 Technic / 14538
Re: steering
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 23 Aug 2005 22:01:48 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Vineet Honkan wrote:
Thanks. But I figured out a way to set up my steering. I'll just be lazy and use
the Lego Technic Crane idea of having the steering in the end of the vehicle. (I
have found that it is difficult to control a 6+ axle steering by a knob on the
top of the vehicle).

To make the steering work best, the external knob should turn the outermost sets
of wheels, ie the ones nearest the front and back of the crane, with the most
direct link possible, then gear it down towards the centre to steer the rest.
TLC unfortunately chose not to do that in the 8421, so ended up with a
relatively difficult to steer vehicle. It can be improved a little by gearing
the shaft down at the rear, using 12+20 tooth instead of 16+16, but the best
solution would be to have the steering knob turning the front axle, then gear
that down to steer axles 2 & 4.

ROSCO