 Technic / 14483
  Dave Schilling's pneumatic parlor trick

While at Brickfest I had the chance to meet Dave Schilling again. Dave is a very knowlegable technic/robotics builder. I also got the pleasure to meet his brother Phil. What a couple of nice guys. Dave showed me a pneumatic parlor trick that those (...) (19 years ago, 16-Aug-05, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Dave Schilling's pneumatic parlor trick

(...) Is it because the extension side of the piston face has a greater surface area than the retraction side? The connection between the piston face and the piston rod accounting for the difference. Steve (19 years ago, 16-Aug-05, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Dave Schilling's pneumatic parlor trick

(...) Yep, that is why pistons push better than they pull. (19 years ago, 16-Aug-05, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Dave Schilling's pneumatic parlor trick

(...) This phenomemon is the reason why any pneumatic mechanism (such as steering) that you intend to stop in the middle (with pistons at the half way point) should always use two opposing pistons. This equalises the total piston area for each (...) (19 years ago, 16-Aug-05, to lugnet.technic)