 Technic / 14033
Re: Huge Bridge?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 12 Apr 2005 18:24:56 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Bob Kojima wrote:
   Hey T.J. is this your bridge?
http://brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=1174606

we want the details!

i think you now hold the record for the longest span. no one can top
that. how long was it up before it fell? did any thing break? i
noticed that you had some nice camber in the deck.

most impressive!

That would be my bridge. Thanks for your comments! No, it’s not the record
span. The longest span, to the best of my knowledge, is this 8.9 meter
bridge:

My bridge (spanning a modest 17’ 3 1/8” (5.26 meters)) withstood about 5
hours of freight trains and monorail cars until something popped. The whole
thing crashed suddenly and violently :-) There were only 3 broken beams,
and one that almost broke and was left with white stress marks.

However, with the help of 3 other TexLUG members, we rebuilt it in about 2
hours. It held up fine for the second day of our TexLUG meeting. There are
a few more pics and a brief description here:
http://www.texlug.org/spring2005

I’ll be posting more details later on. I’m just a little too busy right now
changing diapers :-)

-TJ