 Technic / 13686
Re: Helicopter
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 4 Feb 2005 23:12:03 GMT

That model is as good as a set.  The tilting blades are quite inventive.  I have
tried to build pneumatics into helicopters in the past but could not get them to
work well.  The landing gear looks like it is well designed.

To use pneumatics to pivit the rotors, one could use 4 little pistons under the
joystick and 4 little pistons under the rotor (each placed radially around the
center.)  To do this one would need to connect the pistons under the joystick up
to their corresponding piston under the rotor.  But there would not be any
mechanical advantage unless the pistons under the joystick extended the full
distance and the ones under the rotor extended 1/2 the distance, not to mention
the pressure lost due to the compression of the air.  Maybe the cable idea you
use is better after all.

Sorry if I rambled. Your model looks very realistic. It should be a set.