 Technic / 13622
13621  |  13623
Subject:
Modifying set 5600 (RC Racer)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 28 Jan 2005 14:40:30 GMT

I just picked up a used set 5600 (Radio Control Racer), thinking that I would
take the wheels off, put a gearbox in to gear it down, and add some treads or
fat tires, making a more tank-like vehicle my young son would be able to
control.

Sadly, I found that the wheels don't come off; they're an attached part of the
chassis.  Nor do the round cylinders arranged in a circle around the outer axel
appear to fit with any LEGO part I can find, except perhaps a rod or antenna.
It's clearly intended to be a model you decorate, not invent with, which is
disappointing.

But I'm not quite ready to give up yet -- if nothing else, I could probably rig
up something where the drive wheels are pushed against some tires which are
internal to my machine, which then attach to gears that ultimately drive the
"real" wheels on the ground.  It's a bit of a Rube Goldberg but would probably
work.  But then we have the issue of steering -- I'd need some way to either use
the front wheels despite all this rube golbergery, or use the chassis front
wheels as actuators that somehow turn the real front wheels.  And I haven't
thought of a decent way to do that yet.

Has anybody tried something like this?  Any tips?  Is there some other model you
would recommend that is more open?  Really, for my purposes, all I needed was
for the chassis to have standard axel outputs instead of bolted-on wheels!  Any
suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks,
- Joe