 Technic / 13479
Re: Anyone know Redjack Ryan?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 11 Jan 2005 02:02:23 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.technic, Jeramy Spurgeon wrote:
In lugnet.technic, Ross Crawford wrote:
Found this folder on Brickshelf:

Now I don't usually like to steal other people's thunder, but that is a sweet
model. Looks like it's based on a BE1250-W. Anyone know who built it? If you're
lurking, please de-lurk now!

ROSCO

His name is Alex Taylor and he recently came to an IndyLUG show and became
interested in joining our club. I'm not sure if he checks LUGNET that often (at
least not yet, I'm sure he soon will!!)

I can forward you his e-mail address if you'd like to contact him directly
concerning his MOC.

Jeramy

*de-lurks*

Hi, and thanks for the comments, Ross. Your cc2800 is awesome, as are your
micro-scale models :).

I built the model by working on it every weekend starting in September-December
of 2003 while in my economy single dorm room. I rebuilt the tub, mast, gantry,
fairleads, and the front of the house over the summer before taking the model to
the DHSdiecast.com open house, where it won 1st place in the model contest.

It is, indeed, based on the BE 1250W machine; good call. It is built to scale
for the lego minifigures (I used 1:44.3), so the boom (225' long on the real
machine) is just over 5' long, and it carries a 35 CY scale bucket. The drag,
hoist, and swing functions are operable using a Lego remote and Mindstorms RCX
brick as a receiver; the walk cycle uses a battery box located inside the model,
but it can't support it's own weight. It has 11 motors: 4 walk, 3 swing, 2 drag,
and 2 hoist. It also has 2 sliding doors on the left side, and the rear house of
the machine can also open using 2 large sliding doors. The ideas for the sliding
doors and the roller base that the machine sits on were originally developed by
Beat Felber from engineeringwithabs.ch.

Also, no Lego bricks were modified or glued in this model.

Additional photos of the model can be found here:

If all goes well, I will be bringing this model to show at the Children and
Parents Expo in the Indiana State Fairgrounds in February.

I am currently in the acquisition/planning stage of building my next model,
which will be Peabody's Marion 8900 :)

Alex