 Technic / 1311
Re: Making Lego airborne
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 27 Mar 2000 18:14:25 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Ram Meenakshisundaram writes:
Hi,

I want to create a light-weight tethered helicopter and was wondering if
it was possible at all.  Is the micro-motor powerful enough to lift a
small helicopter.  What about the geared motor or the older motor that
is found in the space shuttle.  I just want it to hover over without
moving forward or back.  Later on I want to expand on this idea and let
the RCX contol it automatically.

Ram

My recommendation would be to use an existing airplane or helicopter.  You can
get one from Cox for as little as $40.  I would recommend buying one of the
free-flight helicopters and attaching micromotors to a make-shift rudder and
tail.  You'll definately get enough lift to carry the RCX (you won't get it
off the ground any other way).  Some sensors would be nice, but you'd have to
rig up an altimiter and a gyroscopic sensor for pitch (you can rig one of
these out of two angle sensors and a weight).  I might actually try this,
sometime.  Sounds like fun.  Just be sure to pack your RCX in something
protective (I recommend you go to a craft store and buy a 5" diameter
styrofoam sphere.  Cut it in half and hollow out an area for the RCX.  You can
run the wires through the crack between the pieces and tape it up really
well.)  If you can't do the altimeter, use the last sensor to check if the
engine is on, so the RCX doesn't try to fly when you're still on the ground.
Otherwise, just put in a time delay, so you have time to send it off.