 Technic / 12792
Re: SSClagorpion - Compressor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 16 Jun 2004 04:26:11 GMT

Sometimes it is not easy to get perfect geometry out of LEGO.

I’ve been wrestling with geometries to get the pumps just the right distance apart, and also having the compression strokes force the pumps through thier full range.

I ended up using a little geometry and trignometry, and a C program to help run through the possible geometric combinations...... Never done that before.

I’m getting closer. Given all the play in the central radial connector, we need more than a two stud throw to compress the pistons. A radius of 1 is not enough to completely expand/contract the pistons through the full range of motion. I tried a radius of 1.5, but it was too much. By hooking 1x2 liftarms to 1x2 (perpendicularly) I’ve got a radius of the square root of 2 (more like 1.414). It works pretty well, but the radius is just a little too long. I’ll see if I can back the pistons out about .1 stud.

Kevin