 Technic / 12790
Re: Lego RC Set Questions - Overloading
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 14 Jun 2004 23:25:07 GMT

If you need more power, consider an electronic speed controller from other RC
racing cars.  I saw one that used 6 MOSFETs in parallel, such was the drive
current to the motor.  You'll need a good heatsink though!  If you know how, you
can modify a 7.2V one for 9V, but bear in mind that it would be designed to
operate with 7.2V NiCd packs, so you're probably best to stick with the lower
voltage.  Some aircraft ones use 8.4V though, but they are often
uni-directional.

Do you have a no non-Lego rule in the robot competition?

Mark

Standard RC car speed controllers are made to take from just a few amps to some
as high as 500+

voltage wise they go from 6v to 24v

I'm sure there is allot more but thats what I've seen. The speed controller in
my Traxxas Emaxx for example is made to handle 14.4volts and 160amps of constent
current.
Gary