 Technic / 1262
Re: 8448 & Indy Storm Engine scale correctness...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 15 Mar 2000 18:11:45 GMT

In lugnet.technic, David C. Pyatt writes:
Speaking on scale... I don't have the 8448, but I am working on a MOC using
the 8448 wheels and 2x2 cylinder/pistons as in the IndyStorm and others (I
believe the same as the 8448 from pictures I've seen).

Isn't the finished engine a bit out of scale with itself?  The pistons seem
way too large to be running off one cam... my engine is about 12w X 10l X 7h
using 2 separate cams...  Yes this make the planned car (still early in
development) quite a bit larger that the 8448, but it seems more to scale to
me at least... any thoughts?

Car size vs. Engine displacement:
Based on the tire size, I'd put the scale of the 8448 at 7-7.6cm per stud,
considering tires around 215/65/15.
I'd guess the bore to be about 1.4 studs, with a stroke of 1,
=13.4 cubic studs for the V8. Depending on scale, this
is equivalent to somewhere between 4.6l and 6.0l displacement,
which is quite reasonable.

Engine size vs. engine displacement: The engine blocks are too
large considering their displacement - both the width, increased
by those monting hole bulges, and the piston-to-piston distance,
are much larger than in a real engine. The rods seem awfully
short, though, which puts the crankshaft rather high and
makes the whole engine flat and wide. No, I don't think
you need two crankshafts (assuming that's what you mean).
Putting a 90-degree offset in the middle to stagger the
relative piston positions would be nice, but then the engine
gets even longer, and the chromed valve covers (2x silver 2x4 per
side) won't fit anymore.

-gbr