 Technic / 12570
Re: SSClagorpion
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 6 May 2004 13:25:27 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Kevin L. Clague wrote:
  _
   \____  Walking leg becomes stationary
  _
   \____  Walking leg becomes stationary
  _
   \____  Walking leg becomes stationary
  _
   \____  Walking leg becomes stationary
  __
    \__/  Timing piston
      __
  ___/    Stationary leg becomes walking
      __
  ___/    Stationary leg becomes walking
      __
  ___/    Stationary leg becomes walking
      __
  ___/    Stationary leg becomes walking
    + All legs down

  012345

Makes sense to me.
Makes sense to me.
Makes sense to me.
Makes sense to me.

:)

The prototype leg looks very good.  However, I do have one question.  Given the
angle of the leg, there will be pressure on the sidestep piston to pull the
piston apart.  (overextend)  Is that something to worry about?

So, most of the time, the piston will be extended (except when stepping
sideways).  Would it be better to mount the piston above the pivot, so it's
normal state is contracted?

Also, it's hard to tell from the angle of the picture, but I assume the leglock
is supported by more than the switch, right?  I don't think it would be good to
put the weight of the SSClagorpion into the switch.  :)

Next, we just need to attach a sensor, to detect when the leg is locked (one for
each front leg) and another to detect when the foot is actually on the floor,
and we'll be set...

Cool.

Steve