 Technic / 12453
Re: SSClagorpion - robotic update
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 21 Apr 2004 18:28:03 GMT

The latest robotic update:

As it stands now, SSClagorpion will:
1) Move: (one of these at a time)
   A) Walk forward & backward,
   B) Turn right & left
   C) Step right & left (move sideways)
   D) Stop

2) Open & close two claws on it's arms (via pneumatics)
3) Move it's tail.  (curl? via pneumatics?)

4) It can stay on a table/stage,
5) Detect when it bumps into something (when going forward),
6) Follow the "controller"
7) Be driven around like an RC car.

Is that enough cool functionality?

To do this we need:
1 Spybot w/controller
2 RCXs

4 motors for movement
2 motors for claws (built into Spybot)
1 motor for tail stuff

2 touch sensors for front feet
2 light sensors for leg position (of front feet)

2 touch sensors (or rotation sensors) for arm-bump detection

This leaves us ports for 1 more motor, and 2 more sensors, and there is
currently no function for the touch and light sensors built into the Spybot.

The above totals don't count motors and batteries for a compressor.

That's where I stand.

I'm interested in messing around with an arm design that can use a rotation
sensor to detect when it comes into contact with an object.

Steve