 Technic / 12366
Re: SSCorpion
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 13 Apr 2004 19:51:36 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Kevin L. Clague wrote:
This will be interesting because it is my first partner build.....

I assume you're not counting the Team Magno fiasco.  I guess there really wasn't
much building involved there.  :)

For me, because the pneumatics control plays such a large part, the overall
walking mechanism can have a huge impact on the body design.  Now with the
Sophie effect coming into play, we get to consider much more.  I like it.

  1.  Typically they walk forward with two groups of four legs.
  2.  Turning is done by using a different sweep, primarily with the front two
and back two legs.

Two groups of four legs is a simple extension to hex242 and hex363.

Will this type of design allow it to turn in place, or can it only turn while
walking forward/backward?

I think it should be able to turn in place.  That could mean dis-connecting the
legs on each side.

Also, moving sideways would be cool.  That would mean adding a side-to-side
piston, to go along with the forward/back piston on each leg.  Right?

Thoughts?

The walking mechanism will be completely wired into pneumatics.  For walking
backwards, we can use pneumatic polarity reversors controlled by RCX/Motors.
The RCX may need to know that we are in the right state before it changes the
muxes, so that will take some kind of sensor.

The control could be Motor->pneumatic switch for:
A) Forward/Backward/Stop (x2) (one for each side, as in diff drive)
or
B) Forward/Backward and a second switch for Stop/Go (x2)
or
C) Forward/Backward, Stop/Go, Same/Opposide (legs on both sides go same
direction or opposite direction)

Any thoughts about what works well, Kevin?

Other kinds of articulation could include the claw arms, and/or the tail.

The claw is a must.  As is curling the tail.

But, do the arms move?

As I said, I'd like to see sensors on the arms, somewhat like antenna, so when
it's being autonomous, it can detect objects.  And on the front feet, so it can
avoid falling in holes, or walking off tables.

The first challenge I see from our brief discussions, is that Eric builds
backward.  :)  I think both Kevin and I start from the inside, and build out.
While Eric starts on the outside, and builds in.

I usually worry about how my robot look, but that's secondary to how they work.

This is fun.

Steve