 Technic / 12103
Re: Motorizing the 8865 test car
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 11 Feb 2004 04:56:36 GMT

Same deal. It works, but is heavy, slow to start, and has an almost unresponsive
steering. It also happens that backing up is faster than going forward. Strange.

Very clever way of attaching the motors to the back wheels.

I remember a discussion thread last year (about motorizing the 8880) where it
was discussed that the problem is not the strength of the Lego motors, but the
actual resistance of the parts, and friction generated!
So there are merits to an all-metal construction toy...

What motivated me to motorize the 8865 was a comment in the 8865 lugnet page:
Mike Westpy: "Still trying to figure out how to get the main model motorized."

As I have just finished Halo the PC game, I might reassemble the 8466 and slap a
machine gun on its back. It looks so much like a 4x4 in the game.

Cheers
Keith

You might want to look at my 8466 with a tow hook on its back (from
5218-Pneumatic pack instruction booklet). Crude, but it's better than the
otherwise hollow back. Let me know once you made the machine gun!