 Technic / 12033
Re: Display stand for 7470 and 8480
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.space
Date:
Thu, 29 Jan 2004 16:47:39 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Keith Hui wrote:
Hi,

Has anyone built a Starwars UCS-style display stand for the 7470 or 8480 space
shuttles that can withstand their weight without collapsing? I have both and I
think they'd look great tilted on such a stand, so I'm thinking of building one.

Thanks
Keith

Keith,

For the 7470 space shuttle (I don't have the 8480), the 10026 stand is
definitely too light -- you can perch the model on the stand (untilted), but
it's wobbly even then.  Perhaps a modification using two or more of the liftarms
with click rotation hinges might work out.

The 7191 stand should be strong enough, I think you'd just have to rework the
bottom of the shuttle at the model's CG (forward a couple of studs from the
front of the main gear openings) to be able to accept the stand.

Another approach would be to adapt something like the stand/rack for Phil
Painter's SSA-Paladin (in the .space highlighted MOC archive).

I combined an angled mounting bar with a support structure derived from the
10030 stands to mount a spaceplane model of mine at about a 10 degree pitch
(visible, with apologies for the photography, here:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=600994).  It's not elegant, but
it's more than sturdy enough for the 7470 shuttle.

Tom