 Technic / 11896
Re: What is the difference between... ?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sun, 11 Jan 2004 16:37:16 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Juergen Stuber wrote:
Mark Tarrabain <markt@lynx.SPAMBLOCK.net> writes:

What is the difference between a studless beam and a straight liftarm?

What is a liftarm anyway?  My dictionaries don't know it,
and I never heard of it outside of the LEGO technic context.

I wondered if it had been discussed on rec.toys.lego at some point.  This was
the earliest posting where someone asked if this should be the name or not.
It's from about 6 1/2 years ago.

http://makeashorterlink.com/?K17E26707  (a)

There didn't seem to be a consensus, and yet... the name seems to have stuck, at
least in some circles.

However, if you go looking for the term 'liftarms' it looks as though it was
used at least a year and a half earlier:

http://makeashorterlink.com/?N2AE12707  (b)

While building or sorting I have always tended to call these liftarms:

http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/2825

Because the collar at the one end always makes me think that the piece could be
made to rotate about an axle and 'lift' something.

While I usually end up calling parts like these:

http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/x200
http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/32063
http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/32348

'struts' as in the way certain members are called in the context of automobiles
and/or airplaines.  I then just apply the terms: straight, bent, full or 1/2
wide, as the case may be.

For me, the word 'beam' is more accurately applied to what others call the Technic brick.  I see a beam as something suspended between or connecting columns.  And since in my own building style I tend to use a more traditional 'studs up' approach, that is often how I end up using a studded Technic brick/beam.   Whereas I see the studless pieces as being mounted or pinned to other pieces, not placed down onto two columns.

Just my two cents,
Allan B.

In case the shorter links don't work:

(a)