 Technic / 11871
Re: Building a supercar
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 7 Jan 2004 08:37:13 GMT

hi marc

about clutches...
and other stuff look here

maybe you can use some of my designs

br
pixel

"OilMonkey" <marcschets@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:Hr38Mu.BtE@lugnet.com...
Hi everyone!

I like to show you the project I'm currently working on. The creation of a
supercar, not to look like a real car, but to function like a real car. Meaning
to have a power plant with a gearbox etc.

I have to say I'm sorry not having a digital camera so all I can show are
rendered drawing of MlCad files.

First! The engine:

<<http://people.zeelandnet.nl/mschets/LEGO/Compleet.jpg>>

This is the MkIII of the 2 cylinder engine I designed. It uses the old style
cylinder (having less friction). I saw a similar engine using the small ones,
but I think this one is stronger due to the bigger pressure area.

The MkIV I use at the moment is a little different, the pneumatic switch is at
top in stead of the front, so the're is a crankshaft all the way (I still need
to draw it in MlCad, but those hoses are so damn hard to draw :( )

Second! The gearbox:

<<http://people.zeelandnet.nl/mschets/LEGO/gearbox2.jpg>>

This is a compact gearbox giving 2 forward and 1 revers speeds. The aspect
ratio's are (engine rpm : outgoing shaft )

first gear : 4.98 : 1

second gear: 1.66 : 1

reverse    : 2.75 : 1

With a differential ratio of 2.33 : 1 (The old style differential) giving a
total ratio of: (engine : wheel)

1 : 11.60 : 1

2 :  3.86 : 1

R :  6.40 : 1

The next picture showing an inside view:

<<http://people.zeelandnet.nl/mschets/LEGO/gearbox1.jpg>>

Note that the first gear on the green shaft is missing. This is because I made
it myself (cutting off the 24 tooth clutch gear of a new style differential).
And it works great !

The red axl is the prise-axl, green the out-going and blue reverse.

Here is the mpd file if you are interested:

<http://people.zeelandnet.nl/mschets/LEGO/Gearbox2F1R.mpd Gearbox MPD file>

Currently I'm working on the clutch, at the moment it is still bulky, but I'll
figure that out.

I hope I'll have some time to draw all the other parts (front axle, chassis etc)
in MlCad so I can show it to you.

In the meantime... wishing happy lego times !

Marc.