 Technic / 11693
Re: New Years Resolution Runner
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 26 Nov 2003 18:15:24 GMT

Kevin L. Clague wrote:

In my mind, running means all feet off the ground, no matter how many feet the
walker has.  I did not assume bipedalism.

Well by that defintion, simply flipping one of your many walkers
upsidedown would make it "running"  :)

I actually studied quadraped running back in 1981 when I was writing a
game on an Apple ][+ for a graphic dog-racing simulation/game.  I looked
at many a still snapshot of animals in full runs before I was able to
piece together how they did it (VCR's were only just _STARTING_ to
become affordable then, and ones with slo-mo capability were still in
the thousands of dollars).

Anyways, each "step" of a dog's run is evidentally a very long and very
shallow jump. The key seems to be in the strength of the rear legs,
which provides a sudden and powerful lift.   The front legs seem to act
as a brake of sorts, allowing the dog to catch himself from falling nose
first into the dirt.  Each jump is extremely shallow, so the animal is
able to level himself off with its front legs as he quickly draws them
back.  At the same time, the rear legs have moved forward and the animal
again makes another leap, bending its front legs so as not to interfere
with the motion and then quickly pulling them forward again to catch
itself at the end of its next "step".   The overall effect is actually
quite graceful.

I don't think you'd be able to do this with LEGO.   You might be able to
duplicate the motion, but you'd need enough strength in the legs to
actually *FORCE* the whole model into the air for some discernable
distance, and I can't see LEGO pneumatics being strong enough to
accomplish that.

Then again, I'd be impressed as heck to be proven wrong.  Before the hot
air baloon was discovered, it was impossible for man to fly.