 Technic / 11269
Re: Assistance
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 15 Sep 2003 23:08:36 GMT

Before anything else, thank you for the reply! In these past few days I’ve gone out of my mind trying to figure out alternative designs for the discharge mechanism, but as ideas get harder and harder to pop all the input is welcome.

In lugnet.technic, Huw Millington wrote:
   I have experimented with many different mechanisms for auto-discharging hoppers, although none have been like the one you describe.

I have tried ones with levers that are moved up and down as the wagon passes a trackside mechanism, and while these work to a degree, my most successful effort to date is as illustrated here:

The wheel on the side of the wagon rubs along the top of a 1x8 tile to open the door, then along the bottom of an upside down one to close it.

I understand the concept - very clever, except for one thing: it requires that the wagon is placed on one orientation, ie, “wheel to the left”. But since it works... not much I can argue.

In essence, the mechanism I am designing is intended to be somewhat symetrical. And the other advantage of having tilting (?) lower doors is that the cargo is discharged *faster* - almost instantly, in fact, given the 16x2 hole in the bottom. The downside of my mechanism is the requirement of a rather large wagon, one that can fit the mechanism AND the cargo bay head-to-head.

   The choice is load is important. For obvious reasons, the rounder and smaller the part used, the better it works. 1x1 round plates are thus ideal.

I’m thinking soccer balls, since knowing about some of their benefits :-) (it could almost become the LEGO standard for hopper cargo!)

   If you (or anyone else) is interested, I’ll dust them and the mechanism off and take some photos, although you can probably get the gist from this picture taken at the Brickish Association AGM:

http://www.brickish.org/events/2003-04-agm/AGM0022.JPG

From the Brickshelf folder I pretty much understand how the thing works: simple and effective in fact my only issue regards the “assymetry”, if it can be made symmetrical then it will fit my neurosis a lot better ;-)

   The odd-looking structure on the left is the Mindstorms-controlled loading chute which is triggered when the wheel on the side of the wagons hits the touch switch. I have therefore developed a ‘merry go-round’ system of auto-loading and unloading wagons while the train continues to move. (one day I’ll get round to describing it fully...)

Well this is just the hopper for te time being... hopefully more complex cargo facilities will follow suit.

I’ve updated my brickshelf folder (http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=56581) with some more files (and changed others). By now you should get a less abstract picture of what the thing will look like - the missing bits can be described as “details”, being only a matter of joining the bogies to the main body and raising the walls.

Now I just gotta get my hands on some technic parts to build the prototype!

Pedro