 Technic / 1126
Re: More flexage
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 24 Feb 2000 00:39:34 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Christopher Jeris writes:
Can cable links (Technica section 48) be opened to release the cable?

Yes.

If so, how many open/close cycles do they take before breaking?

I don't know. I was concerned about this myself, but so far I haven't broken
one yet (I'd say I make low-moderate use of them).  It turns out that when you
open the little flap, you just have to unclip it, you don't actually have to
bend the hinge very far.  It should spring open far enough by itself when you
release the catch  That's enough to take out the cable, and insert a new one.

I only know a little bit about fatigue in plastic, but I think that an
important factor is the frequnecy of opening/closing.  If, for instance you
were to open and close the little flap all the way twice a second I guess it
would probably break after perhaps 100 cycles.  If you only open it once a
minute and give it a bit of time to cool down an "relax", it would probably
last considerably longer.

In any case, since you don't need to bend the hinge very far, or very often,
you probably don't need to be concerned about its life expectancy.  Still, I
tend to store my flex cables in the assembled state and only open them when
necessary.

Of course, if anybody really wants to know what the life expectancy of these
parts is, they could send me a few spares, and I'd gladly set up a scientific
study :-)

-Phil
(He who is named "speaks longer than the streams")