 Technic / 11065
11064  |  11066
Subject:
The first LDRAW/MLCAD-made car for a computer game
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.cad, lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 5 Aug 2003 19:57:32 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

I've been familiar with making 3D models for the computer game "Midtown
Madness 2" for a while now, one of my more popular models being a VW
Turbo New Beetle.

I go by "Legoguy" at the Midtown Madness 2 Central forums
(<http://forum.mm2c.com>) so needless to say I love LEGOs (don't we
all?). I had built a small go-cart earlier on in my life, which happened
to be laying around. I knew LDRAW existed but I never looked into it. I
found what I needed, including some elusive converters, and I converted
the model of the car I built in MLCAD to 3DS, imported each part into
Zmodeler (<http://www.zmodeler.com>), and spent hours making each part's
faces face the right way (LDRAW applications pay attention to BFC, but ZModeler
and computer
games don't use BFC obviously). After every part was done, I added 11 color
choices, some
high speed tuning (320+ mph) and break-off parts (like the front
headlights) and turning front steering links (unfortunately the game
doesn't support a moving rack and pinion)
The whole model originally was about 75,000 polygons and
that is way too much for a computer game. After much polygon reduction
(removal of hidden parts of lego bricks) I got it down to about 40,000
which is still about 5 times the normal polygon count for a car in MM2.

You can see the final 3D model and turn it around and zoom in and
whatever you like (via a free plugin) at this location:
<http://legographics.idwt.net/3d.php?id=5&tablename=cars>
(it will take a bit to load if you're on a slow connection, and if you
don't already have the Viewpoint plugin installed, you'll need to do
that too, but the results are worth it)

To see more about the car or if you have Midtown Madness 2, you can go
here, http://legographics.idwt.net/cars , and see for yourself.
You can find some progress shots in ZM here:
<http://legographics.idwt.net/legocart>
And some renders (not just of the car) here
<http://legographics.idwt.net/legorenders>
It's a blast to drive, needless to say :D

Now, my question in this thread, hopefully someone can answer me:
Is there a complete set of unofficial parts of the Technic Figurine, not
just the two I can find (the shin and the foot)? I'm hoping these will
be out soon because as you may guess they will be put to good use ;)