 Technic / 11004
11003  |  11005
Subject:
mini-review of #8455
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 29 Jul 2003 03:24:51 GMT

Like many others I have been lamenting the recent decline Lego Technic
and longing for the days of Supercar #8880 and Space Shuttle #8480.  I
was happy that Lego re-released the Pneumatic Crane #8460 last year (as
#8431), but at the same time wondered if the best days of Lego Technic
were long past and that we wouldn't see any great new designs.

Then I put together set #8455 - Backhoe Loader.  This is an amazing
Technic set, and perhaps the best Pneumatic set ever released.  It has 7
functions (3 of which use 2 cylinders):

1) Raise/lower front scoop (2 cylinders)
2) Tilt front scoop (2 cylinders)
3) Extend/retract stabilizers (2 cylinders)
4) Rotate excavator
5) Raise/lower excavator
6) 2nd degree of motion on excavator (curl/extend arm)
7) 3rd degree of motion on excavator (scoop the bucket)

It also has the basics that I expect of any Technic vehicle:

* Differential for rear wheels
* Drive train linked to an engine with moving pistons
* Working steering

The engine only has 3 cylinders, but that's a reasonable simplification
considering how much else Lego has packed into the model.

The steering mechanism is something that I haven't encountered before,
using linkbars that attach to right and left "gears" that rotate in
opposite directions.

There aren't any of the old "studded" beams in the set, and the only
brick is the 2x2 round one used for the mars light on the roof.  Same
goes for plates...just a few used for decoration.  The model's structure
is completely based on the "new" beams (smooth top and bottom, rounded
ends).  I'm gaining a new appreciation for "studless" assembly
techniques, and may start to move in that direction for my own designs
soon.  As someone who hasn't kept up with all of the latest Technic
sets, I now have an ample supply of the new beams and various special
connectors that Lego has been creating...that is if I ever can bring
myself to take #8455 apart.

The pneumatics are powered by two pumps which are mechanically linked
together.  The only action that seemed sluggish was raising the
excavator.  The arm itself is rather long and has a decent amount of
weight, and the cylinder that raises it doesn't get a great deal of
leverage, so it isn't surprising that this function is the least
responsive of the bunch.

Pumping the pneumatics manually can be tedious, so I added a motorized
compressor and air tank to the vehicle.  With some minor re-assembly I
was able to squeeze them into the cab of the vehicle (after removing the
manually operated pumps of course!)  With the addition of the compressor
and airtank, I think #8455 surpasses the classic Airtech Claw Rig #8868
(which includes a compressor, and benefits from the addition of an air
tank).

Overall, I strongly recommend set #8455 to any Technic fan.  It combines
interesting mechanical design, reasonably good appearance, and
incredible pneumatics.  The $100 retail price might seem high given the
piece count of 700, but when you consider that you are getting 10
pneumatic cylinders, 2 pumps, 7 valves, and plenty of tubing and
connectors, the set is well worth the money.

Dave Baum