 Technic / 10766
Re: Ebay and the 8455 back hoe
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.market.shopping, lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Thu, 19 Jun 2003 17:21:16 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Mark Tarrabain wrote:
Gary Simas wrote:
This had to happen sooner or later.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3135099781
Why don't people just go to the lego web site and order this stuff? I see a few
bidders are overseas. I would be happy to order for anyone who can't get one in
their country. Mine is on the way:)
Gary

Bizarre!  The bids are up to $172.50 at the time that I'm writing this!
This is a current product that pretty much anyone anywhere should be
able to order from LEGO for a lot less than that.   Why on earth would
the bidding go that high?

(btw, how do you know that the bidders are from overseas?)

Mark

Let see ... I logon to the Lego shop for the Netherlands and what is the first
thing that I notice? The Technic tab is gone! Okay, don't dispair, I can still
find it under "Building Sets". No trace of the backhoe anywhere. Maybe this is
the reason why this set is going for so high on ebay. The same phenomenom has
been driving part of the ebay sales for a while now. I can remember when
recently certain wheels and other Technic goodies were only available in Europe
and only via Lego Direct. Which meant that any enterprising builder could get
them for free by buying two, keeping one and selling the other at a 100% premium
on ebay to eager American buyers.

This almost inevitable inefficiencies can be reversed too. For instance, Vision
command sets were being sold MISB on Ebay by American ebayers at about 20% of
the price quoted by Lego Direct in Europe.

BTW, thanks for the very kind offer, Gary