 Technic / 10277
Re: 8459/8464 Price
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sat, 3 May 2003 22:47:30 GMT

In article <HE9vL2.23DB@lugnet.com>, "Greg Muri" <gmuri1@yahoo.com>
wrote:

I have a question for those that were around back in '97 when the 8459 was
originally released. This was still during my dark age so I am not familiar
with the availability of this set. Was this set only produced on a limited
availability? It seems like there must have been a particular reason that
the
current price for the original or the re-release price is so high.

In the U.S. I believe 8459 was a Shop-at-home only set.  I think it was
available through normal retail channels in Europe (I recall seeing one
in a department store in London).  This was typical for the larger
Technic sets at that time, presumably because expensive Technic sets
didn't sell as well in the U.S. as in Europe.  Whereas a lot of the
other sets sold in U.S. stores had North American packaging, these sets
came in their European packaging, along with a brochure for service
packs from Lego/Europe, etc.

I don't believe production was artificially limited.  If few were sold
in the U.S. it was due to low demand, not a limited run.  IIRC, the
price per piece was fairly steep, but this was typical for pneumatic
sets at the time (for example 8443, which had 320 pieces for $59).  As
another benchmark, in 1995, set 8460 had 841 pieces for $100 (although
it was priced lower for its re-release as 8431).  It seems like
pneumatic sets carried roughly a $20 premium above the $0.10 per piece
price.

IMHO, even with its steep price, 8459 is a great set.  It isn't on par
with 8460, but it is still an excellent model.

Dave Baum