 Storage / 562
561  |  563
Subject:
IRIS Storage Cabinets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Fri, 23 Jun 2000 20:46:12 GMT

My Lego is stored in the living room (small place with limited storage
locations and no Susie Homemaker-type to complain).  I wanted something that
looks good (yeah, even I attempt to have some sense of the aesthetic) but
with plenty of capacity.  I was using several of the ZAG WorkForce (33001)
tool chests.  They just didn't make it.  Too hard to access, not enough
capacity and they were pretty ugly when stacked in the living room.  I got
rid of all but two (one for real tools and one for Gameboy) of those pigs.

I have since been using the IRIS Space Pro series for Lego storage.  I use
two versions of the IRIS Space Pro series, the 3-drawer w/ file drawer and
the 6-drawer.  The chests are completely modular and I have recombined them
to suit my storage needs.  Each translucent polyethylene drawer in the
series measures 15-7/8" x 16-1/4", including the black frame.  Casters allow
the chests to be moved about.

The normal drawers are about 5 inches deep.  I use these drawers to hold
divided containers (Flambeau Tuff-Tainers), odd sized Lego pieces, and bulk
Lego storage.  The included drawer stops can be installed to prevent the
drawers from falling out, but I don't use them so I can easily remove the
drawers for sorting or whatever away from the stack.

The bottom drawer of the 3-drawer version is a file drawer which can hold
hanging file folders.  I use these to hold instructions, catalogs, and other
pieces of Lego literature.  I use the color variety of hanging folders
rather than the ugly green junk that is normally found.  The colored file
folders cost a bit more but they do look better through the translucent
drawer.

Starting with two of the 3-drawer chests, I removed the tops and then
stacked a entire 6-drawer unit on top. The modules snap firmly together.
The recombined stack is about 5-1/2' tall.  I clip a couple of these stacks
together to make a more stable unit.

This is a somewhat pricey solution ($35 for each 3-drawer unit and $55 for
each 6-drawer unit from OfficeMax) but it does the job.  The IRIS chests
look good and they keep the Lego corralled.  I should also make mention that
IRIS is not the only company that make modular storage chests.  I selected
the IRIS units because they are easily available in my neighborhood.