 Storage / 309
Re: Automatic sorting
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Tue, 7 Sep 1999 20:16:52 GMT

I've purchased a system like this.
It is four plastic boxes with square holes
that decrease in size from the top tray
to the bottom tray.  It is not made by Lego.
It wasn't cheap... maybe $20, possibly more.
But it is handy, to some extent.
When sorting, the bottom tray is filled with a large
array of small 1x1 and 1x2 magnitude pieces.  It does weed
out the larger and longer bricks efficiently.
I think maybe why long 1xn pieces are sorted
in the commercial version is that each tray
is probably 1.5" deep, and the screen is
rigid plastic, so the 1xn bricks are not able
to work their way through unless you shake the
box for a very long time.  I don't know if that
gives you any ideas on how you may improve your system.

I'm sure the commercial system has been discontinued.
I'm guessing it was a colossal failure in the marketplace.
If anyone is interested in obtaining one, there may
be one or two left at the small, independent
toy store where I bought mine.
Let me know, and I'll swing by the store and
take a peek and see if they still have any.

-- dave