 Star Wars / 9871
Re: Review of 7106 Droid Escape
Newsgroups:
lugnet.reviews, lugnet.starwars
Date:
Sun, 19 Nov 2000 04:26:45 GMT

I can't wait to get my hands on those 4x4x6 curved wall pieces!  Those will
be great architectural building components!  You can build up walls like
this using the 4x4x1 curved pieces, but its almost impossible to get enough
to do anything with.  Having these walls come in such a cheap set will be
great!  I'll just have to Brasso off the 2 with printing on them.

Bradley Dale <dinosauria_ca@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
Droid Escape
Star Wars, Classic, {Episode IV}
$9.99 (Canada), 44 pieces including C-3P0 and R2-D2

Yay!  2001 LEGO!  It was pretty cool to find this set, since I wasn't • expecting
to see any new sets until December 27.  I had just seen Star Wars Episode • IV,
so I was happy to get a pair of droids.  Unfortunatley, this is a pretty
un-LEGOish set.

PARTS ****** out of **********
Actually, this set is pretty good for parts.  It has four 2x2 inverted • corner
roof bricks in white, four 4x4 quarter circle plates in grey, and four new
4x4x6 curved wall pieces, two grey and two with Star Wars printing.  They • grey
ones will be a big hit with Castle fans, and the decorated ones will look • good
on a Space base.  The droids are nice, C-3P0 has a unique metallic tan • colour.
There are two POOPs though, two 1x2 bricks with a horizontal bar on one • side,
in yellow.

MODEL * out of **********
The main model is very poor.  This set is really too small to use any huge
parts, and they dominate the model.  Combine prebuilt walls with a • studless
dome roof, and you get a very un-LEGOish set.  It looks like a can that • might
contain LEGO, but not like a LEGO model.  It is very poorly designed, the • large
engine on the back is always falling off, and the roof pops apart • sometimes
too.  The parts popping off could be fixed in a modified version, but the
smooth walls just ruin the thing.

FUN **** out of **********
Well, its kind of hard to enjoy a toy that's painful to look at.  From the
'action toy' side of playability, I suppose this set does okay.  Except • the
darn engine falling off all the time, that kind of takes some of the fun • away.
From the 'building toy' side of playability, you get enough plates and • bricks
to make a small speeder vehicle, or a small outpost with a huge satellite • dish.
But still, its kind of ugly so I don't rate it very highly.

OVERALL RECCOMENDATION **** out of **********
The LEGO Company knows not all kids can afford a Millennium Falcon, so as • long
as C-3P0's in there who needs a good model?  Uh, no.  Not one of the best • sets,
and certainly not as cool as other Star Wars.