 Star Wars / 7703
Re: ok, lets play this again, what sets should we see in November
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Tue, 6 Jun 2000 21:46:28 GMT

Jason F wrote:

Keeping in mind that Lego has a license for the movies only(not novels, not
video games), what is left in the original series and Episode 1?  Lets keep it
feasible to minifigs scale, which means no Star Destroyers and Death Stars,
but playsets for those are feasible.  What are we going to see guys/girls,
lets see your predictions.  I know what you guys WANT, but think as Lego would
and lets guess what THEY will make.

& then:

I remember reading it way back when that Lego can only make ships and figs
based on the original trilogy and the new trilogy.  Thats it, no expanded
universe, no books, no video games(personally I would love to see an assault
gunboat or assualt transport).  So this is just a poll for peoples ideas based
on just the 4 movies, no more, no less.  So far, my thoughts are still pretty
valid, there aren't that many ships left unless Lego does playsets.  Its just
to help weed out ideas, nothing more.

Well, if we are to think as Lego THINKS, then skip all expanded universe
stuff. The target audience, being kids (mostly boys) aged 6-12, don't read
that many Star Wars novels, they might play the games, but chances are
they're more interested in recreating the movie scenes rather than the
computer game sequences (they can already play those, so what's the point?).

Creating expanded universe stuff is risky business, & Lego's just not into
that. Especially since the Lego SW collectors are in a minority compared to
the Hasbro/Kenner collectors.

Also, given what sets we've seen so far, Lego seems to be following a pretty
logical marketing pattern: First they release the obvious hero/main
character sets, second they release some less important sets (all of which
are still present in or playing important parts of the movies), third they
release the really important sets they left out at first (MF)... Following
such a logic, we can probably expect to see SOME important/wanted sets this
fall, but not ALL. Why give us everything straight away, when they need the
original universe sets to beef up the product lines for another six years to
go?

Ep2 will be released in 2002, Ep3 in 2005. Given that, they will probably
want to release at least a few Ep1 sets every year. Notice, though, that the
number of sets that were released in the second launch were fewer than the
first time around... We can probably expect that to continue: hence less SW
sets each year until Ep2 finally comes around.

MF being released mid year might mean that we won't get a $100 set this fall
(there wasn't one in the first batch, remember?). Following the logic of
rare $100 sets, there probably won't be one from ep1 either (so we'll have
to wait for the Naboo Royal Cruiser a bit longer... I'll manage, as long as
they do it using chrome parts).

Having said all that...

$100 set, classic: None
$50 set, classic: POSSIBLY Lambda Class Shuttle (aka Tyderium)
$30 set, classic: AT-ST w/ endor forest scene
$20 set, classic: TIE Fighter w/ DS hangar junk
$15 set, classic: None
$6 set, classic: None

$100 set, ep1: None
$50 set, ep1: None
$30 set, ep1: None
$20 set, ep1: Ben Quadinaros' pod racer (?)
$15 set, ep1: Ratts Tyerell's pod racer (?)
$6 set, ep1: Droidekas (2 of them)

Since I spend way too much money on Lego SW as it is, this would probably be
a Good Thing(tm) for my wallet. Still, I'm hoping for more sets than just
these, so let's hope I'm wrong in my very brief business/marketing analysis
of Lego... If I'm to be cynical & pessimistic, I think Lego will save the
stormtroopers for next year, though.

A little tidbit of information that I heard from Some Unnamed Person Within
the Company We All Know and Love is that they will be releasing "upgraded"
versions of some existing sets... I love that idea. I'm hoping for a Wedge
Antilles X-Wing, a Naboo Fighter with chrome parts instead of that ugly grey
& lots more...

I wonder how the Technic droids have done saleswise & how the UCS sets will
do... Seems Lego is using a strategy where they test the market's
willingness to buy using popular sets first. With a little luck, we'll see
many more droids in the future, as well as those darn expensive but good
looking UCS kits.

T.
--> thomas weigle  |  w.i.m.p.
    web: http://www.ya-ba.net/