 Star Wars / 6505
Re: Future Wild West Possibilities
Newsgroups:
lugnet.western, lugnet.starwars
Date:
Sun, 19 Mar 2000 19:07:28 GMT

In lugnet.western, Karl Martinson writes:
Black slaves...

Black?
There's a problem here.
How would TLC deal with the issues of racism, slaves, etc.?
Up till now, there weren't any black-white-minorities issues, since all
minifigs were yellow. (Chinese, maybe? :-)
I remember some comments (can't remember who, though) about the fact that TLC
avoided racesim issues by not giving the minifigs a race at all.
So how would they make slaves, or slavers, without changing the minifigs • faces?

Hmmm...

Any suggestions?

-Shiri

Go to the .starwars group, they've been debating the race issue for at least a
week.

Karl Martinson
raymart@jam21.net

Yeah, the message that I'm replying to is a couple months old, but I've gotta
add my $.02 'cos this deals with some issues that are important to me.  I
didn't go back through the .starwars discussions to find where exactly the
race issue comes up, but it's the addition of the SW theme to Lego that is
going to force Lego to deal with this issue.  Will they ever put a lando
calrissian minifig on the market?  Maybe not, but they will probably be forced
to do a Mace Windu (played by Samuel L. Jackson) as I hear that his role in
episode 2 is a major one.  I really want to see a Lando Calrissian (even if
they never make a 40 oz. malt liquor bottle minifig accessory and I'm not able
to do Billy Dee's legendary Colt 45 commercials in Lego) and I want him in two
costumes - his Bespin outfit and his disguise as one of Jabba's guards.  In
fact, Lego may jeopardize my customer loyalty if they try to release a Jabba's
throne room playset without a Lando.  It's bad enough that he wasn't in the
desert skiff set.  Also let me say that I don't think that Lego would ever do
a civil war sub-category to continue the WW theme ( Lego's a european company
and they have no responsibility to portray the history of our country in their
toys), but that if they did there's really no reason to include slaves in any
of the playsets whether they're depicted as African or European.