 Star Wars / 5693
5692  |  5694
Subject:
Well worth the wait!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Sat, 29 Jan 2000 05:43:00 GMT

Ever since I saw the new Lego 2000 catalog, I have been eagerly awaiting the
delivery of the first 8002s to Canada.  As the old year passed and the new one
set in a visit to the local TRU was manditory.  Continuous during the first
week of January turned up nothing until somebody who worked there was nice
enough to let me know that a deliver wasn't to be sent to the west coast until
December 17.

As the days went on postings described how the Destroyer Droid was one of the
best technic sets ever made, comparable to the 8880.  Lots of tiny
pieces...four and a half hours and sore hands at the end...and I continued to
wait.  The postings continued and the visits to TRU, Walmart, Zellers, toys
shops, whatever turned up nothing.  Another visit to TRU and another question
period to the cashier was unsuccessful until another cashier overheard that the
truck was on its way down from Nanaimo (about 2 hours north of Victoria) and
would arrive the next day.  "About 24 hours later" is when the cashier said the
sets would be on the shelves...come back on Saturday...so I waited again.

On a hunch on Friday, I detoured from my trip home and stopped by the TRU one
last time.  I took a turn around the corner and ahead of me were boxes and
boxes of Lego sets fresh out of their cardboard cases.  As the employees
stocked the shelves with Castle sets and Winnie the Pooh, a quick glance toward
the Star Wars section only showed Battle Droids and Pit Droids.  Searching the
boxes on the floor turned up nothing and I thought that I was too late.  When I
asked if there were any 8002's the lady that was stocking the shelves started
to look at the blank spot where they once had been.  A feeling of defeat came
over me as I thought that once again I would have to wait.  "Wait a minute"
were the words that gave me a moment of hope and way back on the shelf
partially hidden behind the battle droids was the last Destroyer Droid in the
store.

It was a fast trip home, a few rips of some bags, and the hours began.

It is now built...and it is amazing!

It was definitely well worth the wait.

Rod
______

"Lego is more important than knowledge."
     Einstein (age 10)